Which Microphone is better?

Music Forums Music Equipment Which Microphone is better?  
ibeeberz
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a choice between two microphones to purchase. Please tell me which one is better for my purposes.

Shure SM58 v.s Audix OM2

I will be using the microphone for Rock Band purposes for Vocals/Singing. They are the same price, and we will be using them for gigs. We already have one SM58 and we are purchasing another microphone for second vocals.

Please tell me which to get and why whichever is better. We have both of them but we have the option of returning the Audix we just bought for a 58. How could we compare them also?

Thanks,
Isaac
Back to top View user's profile
redistributer
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote

We use a Shure SM58 for live shows and it works great, it's heavy duty and it has been dropped so many times you wouldn't believe, it has even been thrown a few times and it still manages to work very well. If I were you I would choose the Shure as they are known for making high quality mics for the price of almost nothing.
smili

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote

I don't know the Audix mic but they're known for good stuff. The Shure 58 is a standard and like said in above post is known for being able to take abuse.

To compare I'd set up a recording setting with the mics side by side. Match the levels and see which one sounds better on your vocalist. Some mics will match a particular vocalist better than others. In the test make sure to match levels of the mics - otherwise the "louder" mic will just sound better.
dwella
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote

The Samson C01U USB condenser microphone. It’s cool because it’s still pretty cheap, but it will sound HUGE. It has better internal “guts” and a better-quality diaphram so it will most definitely sound better.
-------------------
dwella

Guaranteed ROI
reddogmusic
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote

The Shure SM58 has been around for ages and has become an industry standard. This doesn't mean that it's that great though! Just means it's been around for ages... I'd say the OM2 is better for the price (clearer sound and at least as sturdy). Also check out the Electrovoice ND767 - great mic for the money.Electrovoice ND767
darkspark
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote

As others have said above, the SM58 is kind of a legend for live vox performance. Can't really say anything from personal experience about the other mic but you really can't go wrong with the SM58. Definitely can withstand the years, that's for sure!
learnsingingonline
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote

try to listen to your voice using those microphone then compare which among the two is the best.
python
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote

Totally agree! Sing through both with flat eq and see which one sounds best. If you have to mess on with the eq to get a decent sound, send it back. All mics are different for different voices so it really is a personal choice.
belindaw
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote

in my opinion the former is the better
smili

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Since this thread from way back was revived I thought I'd post a remark based on some recent purchases.

I recently got some of the GLS Audio ball mics from ebay and the singers in the band really seem to like them. (the company that sells the mics is the same place I often buy cable from and have had good experiences). I mention this because they are very cheap vs. most mics but do seem quality build.
bandplays
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote

Just remember you can't ever go wrong with a shure sm-58. My singer uses it all the time for our live shows and never have any problems with it. I'd day Shure for sure!
SafeandSound
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote

Hi there, there is only 1 way to really find out and that is get hold of them and listen to them (make a recording if possible) or get your sound engineer/PA operator to listen out front. If you move around a lot on stage maybe check for handling noise as well, the SM58 is decent stage mic to start with so it depends on which suits your voice best and achieves the tonal balance in your voice that you like.

cheers

Barry

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
CraigCyril
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote

When selecting microphones to use both live and in your home studio, you'll commonly come diagonally two different types of microphones, dynamic and condenser. Let's look at both of these microphone types, and what their advantages and disadvantages are. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
DenverMusicIsAwesome
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote

To reiterate yet again, the SM58 is a legend. It's a solid performance mic and holds up very well through the years. A must have for any rock performer.
lodato

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote

no one has a better judge of a sound then the sound maker.