What's the difference

Music Forums Music What's the difference  
duyentb
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote

if any, between a symphony orchestra and a philharmonic orchestra, is there a difference in instrumental line up, or is it repertoire? Then there are Concert orchestras, I get the impression that they may tend to play some music other than pure Classical.

Personally I can't say I've noticed a difference.

Bands do seem to be better defined, brass, military, jazz etc, but then there is the Hanover band which is an orchestra.
Back to top View user's profile
nickirving
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote

....it's all in the spelling Wink

....possibly the funding too!

Nick

---------------
One Flight Up | Music Studios Sydney
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
Henry
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote

Symphony orchestra and philharmonic orchestra are the same and oftentimes the terms are interchangeable. The term concert orchestra may sometimes be used (e.g., BBC Concert Orchestra; RTÉ Concert Orchestra)—no distinction is made on size of orchestra by use of this term, although their use is generally distinguished as for live concert. As such they are commonly chamber orchestras.
musictalentindia
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote

A symphony is a large orchestra. An orchestra is a large group of musicians who play together on various instruments, usually including strings, woodwinds, brass instruments, and percussion instruments. So, philharmonic and symphony orchestra are synonymous.