Releasing an EP, who is the best digital distributor?

Music Forums Music Promotion Releasing an EP, who is the best digital distributor?  
Rickjamesfool
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I released an album with my previous band through www.tunecore.com but it ended up being a total nightmare. It took 3 and a half months to go online and was only on iTunes and another two sites. Our promotion was all hinged on it being available within 6 weeks and it was very disappointing.

So im looking into www.dittomusic.com and www.cdbaby.com
Dittomusic get you online in about 4 weeks and you get a proper release date.
They do around 700 sites but have a £25 package that covers around 50 including iTunes.

CDbaby do the same kind of thing. The pluses being an online shop, the minuses being they dont do many sites and they take a commission on sales.

Im looking at using Ditto but still cautious after what happened with tunecore so if anyone has experience with these distributors i would love to hear from them.

Thanks

Andy
Back to top View user's profile
unheardradio
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote

CdBaby is a huge site. They have been around FOREVER!

Having your music on iTunes and CDBaby is a great step for E-Distribution.

Watch out for the companies that say they get you on 700 sites...

You really don't need it. The same people browsing all those sites use iTunes and CDBaby.

Everyone takes a commission on sales. They are selling your music....
FatCat_Radio
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote

CDbaby has got the track record. 1st class site/operation. I'd recommend them.

Rickjamesfool wrote:
I released an album with my previous band through www.tunecore.com but it ended up being a total nightmare. It took 3 and a half months to go online and was only on iTunes and another two sites. Our promotion was all hinged on it being available within 6 weeks and it was very disappointing.

So im looking into www.dittomusic.com and www.cdbaby.com
Dittomusic get you online in about 4 weeks and you get a proper release date.
They do around 700 sites but have a £25 package that covers around 50 including iTunes.

CDbaby do the same kind of thing. The pluses being an online shop, the minuses being they dont do many sites and they take a commission on sales.

Im looking at using Ditto but still cautious after what happened with tunecore so if anyone has experience with these distributors i would love to hear from them.

Thanks

Andy
vidyps79
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote

I'd suggest WATunes. Not only they distribute music, but they promote it as well !
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
max12
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote

My band had the same sort of problems but with CD baby! We are now using Ditto Music (www.dittomusic.com) for all our releases, we find them alot beta coz they do things such as give you a release date (which so far they have stuck to), you can also get dedicated fans to pre-order your tracks. They enter you into the chart listings, set up a record company for you and you can even do something like text 'music' to a number and it will buy your track, which the fan can then download. I would recommend them highly, they don't take commission on your music also which is a bonus.

Good luck with it and hope this helps

M
HowieD23
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote

I really like working with the team at HSM Entertainment (hsment.com) they distribute globally, they work hard and they pay on time. When they released my album it was a global release not 2 or 3 stores and I tunes.