Recording

Music Forums Music Equipment Recording  
unknownquantity
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:24 am Reply with quote

Should I buy a multi-tracker or use my computer? Confused If so what should i get(for both).
My knowledge of equipment like this is minimal, so simple to use would also be preferd!

thanks
Back to top View user's profile
cliffpc
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Depends on what you want, and what you can afford. There are so many options out there today, it can be overwhelming.

I would highly recommend using your computer. It is the most versatile music tool on the market today. Some people (like myself) grew up with analog recorders and mixing consoles, and like the "tactile" feel of faders and knobs and buttons. But I readily adopted the digital world, as it allows so much more freedom. And I stopped paying big bucks for studio time, and started investing in my own gear. I still book time when I need to, but can do most of the work at home now.

If you want help in choosing a setup, you need to be alot more specific. Spell out in detail what it is you want to do with your system. I can offer my advice if I know what you need. Same is true for most production-minded people on this site, we need info...

Cliff
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
smili

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote

I agree on trying to go computer if you can. There's lots of stuff out there depending on your needs.
DOS
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote

I suggest you download a free program called "Audacity" It has a multitrack thing, but For recording vocals and electric guitar I suggest perchasing a "FAST TRACK USB INTERFACE" made by M-Audio. Hope this helpd.

-Kevin
minusme
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote

I've neglected going the computer route as well. Something about having my recording gear seperated has always appealed to me. It seems that the industry is going the other direction though, so i'm sure I'll have to cave eventually. I use a fostex FD4 digital 4-track now, and it's done very well for me. It records onto a zip drive, and you can export digital into the computer after you master.

If I was upgrading today I would probably still go 'outboard' for now.
dragon
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote

I also so agree it depends on your needs and your cash $$$$$$ flow. I have both, a Tascam 788 Digital multi-track and Cakewalk and Sonar music software for the computer. Both are good and have advantages and disadvantages. But the pc is more versatile and easier to do functions and editing. 1st off- I started with the Cakewalk Music Creator and the only complaint I had with it was the user manual that was wrote in brain surgery or something. Once I figered what to do and how to do it its great. then I later upgradded to the new versions Sonar. 2nd off- I paid $700 for the Tascam Multi-Track and The music programs I seen early versions of Cakewalk as low as $20 and the newwer versions of Sonar as high as $600 or $700. witch are all good programs. It all depends on what you want to spend. Don't get me wrong I love my Tascam it has it's hands-on advantages and easy to travel with benafits. I have started using them together and sharing the work with them. Sort-of a bast of both worlds thing. Well I hope I could be of some help.

--Peace--

-See Ya On The pilF-

visit my (Artist) web page
ratisha
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote

hi im selling a home studio if youd like to buy it, it includes

a fostex fd-8 digital 8 track
a yamaha mt44 manual 4 track
a tascam tech 44 manual 4 track
and a zip drive with 10 extra disks

the 8 track has never been used however i cant say the same for the other two which work but are getting on a bit, im selling the whole lot for 300 GBP or any reasonable offer, a good deal seen as the fostex alone is worth 250 if your interested get in touch at ratisha12489@aol.com
ratsx
xcoremusic
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote

i have to say that, ive been in many bands, and when it came to recording, i did one studio recording and said "f**k this is too much money to spend for one 3 minute song" and i eventually paid for a small 10 channel mixing board, hooked it up to my computer and started throwing out songs for less then i would in a studio.

really i think you should get a board and a computer and hook the two together, that way you can edit the songs alitle bit while your recording, and so you can record more complex things like drums. lol. so yeah thats all i got.

-Joshua
blu_129
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote

theres loads of equipment to choose from, its how much cash you want to part with. for a little handy recorder theres lots of chioce eg, zoom h4, the fostex thing, the edirol r09, microtrack br. etc. ive got a r09 and am so happy i bought something. it at least makes you feel like you are actually doing something.

just realised how expensive this music lark is. money ive spent this year:

259 new snare
259 edirol recorder
100 new cymbal
149 double pedal
250 electronic drumkit
300 microphone set.

thats over a grand!
CraigCyril
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote

To use a personal computer as a multitracking device, the computer must have an analog to digital interface, and multitrack recording software. As well, a microphone is needed to record the vocals of a singer or any other sources of sound. This is all that is needed to use a computer as a digital multitrack.
Sunshine
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote

If I was looking for equipment to record my vocals and do editing....what equipment would you recommend, and if its on the computer, what software would i need to use?
Soundbombs
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote

I use both. I make beats and tweak everything with the computer but I use a digital 8 track recorder for guitars and vocals. I could never get my computer to record very well at all.
gunner
ubw honorary squatter
ubw honorary squatter

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote

Recording with a PC can seem easy, but lots of problems lie beneath, for example, the "Soundcard", if you were really serious about recording, the soundcard can range into the thousands of dollars, there is also a problem with the processor, and latency and so and so on.........if you are have small budget, i would get a small mixer, and a digital multitrack recorder with cd burning capability.
91lespaul
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote

We use both.....

Got a Tascam 2488 Neo ~ $700. It has 24 tracks + V-Tracks, and allows for 8 simultaneous inputs to separate channels, so you can record 8 instruments/vocals at once. Those tracks are saved as .wav files. Although you supposedly can do all of the editing and mixing/mastering on the Neo, we find it easier to export those .wav files to a PC and use multitrack software to mix. We're using Cakewalk's Music Creator 4 that we picked up for $40.
riftplat
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote

wow gold
runescape gold
rs gold
swtor credits
swtor credits
swtor credits