"Intruder Returns"

Music Forums Lyrics "Intruder Returns"  
RiCterMan
ubw luminary
ubw luminary

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote

Hilloo again, People,

(This was meant to be posted before "R.G.B. Panoramic", but I wasn't as into posting it, and therefore decided to wait.)

This lyrical creation is meant to paint a picture in your mind, of an idea I had, of what major depression would look like, as a visible entity (person, or creature, in this case) who keeps returning to you. I envisioned some kind of, I guess, evil warrior, and for some reason I kept picturing a character who was very tall, wearing tarnished armor, and held a spear that I mention in the song. Yes, I'm over all that shtuff, but I know from the past, many people seem to think that people with bad depression just like to complain, or recieve special attention. It's not that. They just have trouble dealing with the stress, and sometimes how others can't see that it is, truly, a form of stress. So, this is my visualized character, described with a pen in what I call, "Invader Returns".

"Invader Returns"

What are you doing here?
I see you holding the spear.
-the one that I removed, from my soul.
But I see you're weary.
The frustration in your eyes
kind of makes me want to grin.
I may defeat you.

(Chorus):
You're intruding.
You're not welcome here.
Retract yourself
back to the sea.
You want me to follow you,
but I don't want to leave.
That water's cold
and I fear you'll pull me down...
to the sea-floor,
where I'll cease to breathe.

I chased you away from here.
You keep resurfacing. Your beard,
is graying. That's because you're getting old.
It makes me very
mad. You just won't seem to die.
Still the day could come when I grin,
and gladly forget you.

(Chorus)

(Bridge):
When I met you,
you took me by surprise,
when you slapped me in the face
with a hand, like a brick.

Then you took me away, to the sea...
I started drowning.

-until I battled, and got away.

but absence was temporary.
You always show up again.
Someday I think that I will,
escape you.

(Chorus)

(The idea is for a part of music, where each time a bar begins, two somewhat quick power chords are played, more guitaring for the rest of the bar, then a pause before the next bar starts. It does this for four counts, and then it starts one last time, and the next two lines are sung at the exact timing of the last two power chords being struck.):
You leave-
I'll stay-
right here...
Retract yourself.

EnD

Forgive any confusion caused by explaining the part, that in all actuality, is the short ending (quicker tempo). See, I have little, to almost moderate, musical knowledge, when it comes to all the things that I wish I could already know- notation, music theory, etc. Yes, I intend to learn, but I want to learn it from someone who knows what they are talking about (-an instructor), instead of just using some other resource, and learning it all completely on my own.
I hope you guys enjoyed this one. I know it's kind of a sadder subject, but it wasn't written out of feeling anxiety. That's gone now, and I was basically trying to describe the illness in a way that others can visualize, in the same way that I did. Thanks greatly.

Cheers and a smile, to All!

RiCterMan
Back to top View user's profile
minusme
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote

Very cool. I appreciate the explanation beforehand. It always helps to put the lyrics in context! Some of the symbolism wouldn't have meant as much to me without it!!! These are well written and the flow works good for me.

Thanks for sharing more than just your lyrics!!!
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
RiCterMan
ubw luminary
ubw luminary

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote

No problem, Ron. I prefer that the reader know the picture that I have in my head, when some of my songs are written, because I feel it makes the meaning of it a little more interesting. Thanks, and Cheers!

RiCterMan
Back to top View user's profile