What the hell is "Clipping"?

Music Forums Music What the hell is "Clipping"?  
unproject

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote

when i convert wavs to mp3 with soundforge, i get those "clicks" which suck big time. now i am doin it with cool edit, it works better than soundforge.
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
smili

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote

ImL wrote:
You've hit it Smili, the origional mix is fine.

However when I open the song using any one of 3 wave editors (even before converting to mp3) the 'clicks' occur - randomly but always at the same times so it seems to be during saving that these clicks are created.
Just wondering if any one else has this happening.

IML,

If it only happens on this one tune I'm not sure what to tell you, but does it do it on other tunes when mastering also? Are you using a plug only on this tune and not on others. If you remove plugins, etc does it go away. Add them back 1 by 1 and see what happens. CPU load maxing out?

Also, can you see the clicks in the waveform - or only hear them on playback? Clicks can happen if you punch in out without a crossfade and there's a discontinuity in the waveform. Is there a possiblity of this going on?

If you're using DSP cards you might also consider
- driver conflicts,
- excess heat,
- and potentially power supply.

- To test the heat issue you might open up the case and point a big fan inside your case and see if that reduces or eliminates audio clicks when rendering a track. I use a Paris DAW and have 3 PCI cards and while I haven't had problems some folks that use this system can have pops with multicard systems and heat if they don't have proper case ventilation.
- Can you check on someone else's computer too? Might be RAM/CPU limitation that goes away on a different machine?

smili
Back to top View user's profile
dcallen
ubw active poster
ubw active poster

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote

unproject wrote:
when i convert wavs to mp3 with soundforge, i get those "clicks" which suck big time. now i am doin it with cool edit, it works better than soundforge.

That's one thing I like about Sonar 4, I can go right from the midi to MP3 without first converting to wav files. I've always thought skipping a conversion step is a good thing.
gullfo
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote

WinLAME or WinLAME, or you could use WinLAME :-)

I export audio from PE4 into 96Khz/24bit WAV then use WinLAME to create 128Kbs MP3 and the Windows Media Encoder to convert to 70Kbs WMA files.

Can do batch conversion with WinLAME (freeware) and also set CPU priority (like to use background processing...)

my 2...
ImL

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote

smili wrote:
ImL wrote:
You've hit it Smili, the origional mix is fine.

However when I open the song using any one of 3 wave editors (even before converting to mp3) the 'clicks' occur - randomly but always at the same times so it seems to be during saving that these clicks are created.
Just wondering if any one else has this happening.

IML,

If it only happens on this one tune I'm not sure what to tell you, but does it do it on other tunes when mastering also? Are you using a plug only on this tune and not on others. If you remove plugins, etc does it go away. Add them back 1 by 1 and see what happens. CPU load maxing out?

Also, can you see the clicks in the waveform - or only hear them on playback? Clicks can happen if you punch in out without a crossfade and there's a discontinuity in the waveform. Is there a possiblity of this going on?

If you're using DSP cards you might also consider
- driver conflicts,
- excess heat,
- and potentially power supply.

- To test the heat issue you might open up the case and point a big fan inside your case and see if that reduces or eliminates audio clicks when rendering a track. I use a Paris DAW and have 3 PCI cards and while I haven't had problems some folks that use this system can have pops with multicard systems and heat if they don't have proper case ventilation.
- Can you check on someone else's computer too? Might be RAM/CPU limitation that goes away on a different machine?

smili

Thanks Smili for your thoughts. Once I get settled in again your ideas will be tied.

Cheers
Dlinkquint
ubw fanatic
ubw fanatic

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote

i dont know what prgs you use but when saving your finished mix if you export audio always do it in real time or you will get clicks also when exporting if you turn your latency up this should use less power and stops the clicks( i dont think clipping has anything to do with pops and clips it just degrades the waveform hurting the dynamics)theres also a feature in soundforge which removes the pops and clicks ill post summit more in depth once i get the facts,unless it's all been settled i havent read all posts Very Happy
U4eA
ubw active poster
ubw active poster

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

dcallen wrote:
unproject wrote:

That's one thing I like about Sonar 4, I can go right from the midi to MP3 without first converting to wav files. I've always thought skipping a conversion step is a good thing.

Yeah i noticed that too! Soundforge tells me everything is clipping. But sonar 3 ( Razz ) tells me it is fine...and it seems to be right in the end.