If you want reviews, then also give reviews!

Music Forums Song Reviews If you want reviews, then also give reviews!  
gorgatron

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote

I know this has been said many times over the years, but we have several new additions to our community seeking reviews. I think the axiom in the subject line is pretty clear in spelling out where this message is headed.

In the past, there was a slightly different dynamic, with more veteran members being more involved in review new material. Also, there were more mods around who also pent much of their time giving reviews. This has changed over the past several months. Some of the veterans are still floating around, but are not able to be as active as before. As for us mods, we fluctuate in numbers. Many of the mods who dedicated a good portion of their time to reviews are currently busy with other projects, and sometimes we just disappear for a while to take care of life's other challenges.

Also, just to make sure it is said: Nobody gets paid to sit around a review your material at this site!!! It's completely user-driven. Trust me, I wish I was paid for my time, but I do this simply as a member of the community, who enjoys only a few extra privileges that the average user doesn't have...like the ability to delete spam posts. Laughing

My point: those of you seeking reviews should be giving reviews as well. Reciprocity is needed to get dialog going and to build report with fellow members. It has always been a give and take process here, and those who don't give, generally don't receive. It's a trend in the Song Reviews forum that might even warrant a mathematical or logic proof. When you give a review, you're well within your right to also ask the person whose track you've just reviewed to also review the track you've got posted for review. No extra links needed. Just let them know it's there and ask that they reciprocate.

I try to review when I can, but The amount of time I have to spend in the forums per day is limited, and much of it is spent trying to keep this, and the other forums, clean of spam posts, which accumulate quickly if not tended to.

In closing, remember you are the community, and asking for a review doesn't count as participation. So, if you want to be lifted up, you must lift up others as well. Nobody is interested in reviewing the materials of others and receive nothing in return.

This has been the trend over the 7+ yrs I've been here, and nothing has changed. The community only thrives when the individual members act like the community they strive to be.

I don't mean for this to sound condescending, just mater-of-fact. We here at UBW want you to be working together to help each other improve on your craft. That is the real intent of even the Song Reviews forum. Sure, opinions are given as to likes and dislikes, but the main goal is to be analytical about the process and to even have a slight pedagogical element (i.e. constructive feedback).

Best of luck to all of you! Cool
Back to top View user's profile
MattandRachelW
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote

i am running out the door to a gig right now...but ,i did skim your letter...and you are right!! i plan to get on here when i have some time and be part of what is going on!! Thanks..have a great day !!m
PPB

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Well said Gorgatron, this have been said in the announcement topic but you people don't seem to make review and just ask some...if everybody is acting like that then nobody got review and then it's unuseful to ask some...
farris
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote

i am running out the door to a gig right now...but ,i did skim your letter...and you are right!! i plan to get on here when i have some time and be part of what is going on!! Thanks..have a great day !!m