Choices for listening to songs

Music Forums Bugs, Questions, & Technical Help Choices for listening to songs  
HappyByrd
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote

This the very first time that I have ever attempted to use anything like this program and I am clueless!! It looks as if I must download songs onto a MP3. Since I don't have a MP3 and really don't know much about them, is there a way I can listen to music thru my computer or download onto a floppy?

Please help.

Thanks.

HappyByrd
Back to top View user's profile
gorgatron

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote

welcome UBW, HappyByrd! to answer your question, i think i need to start by looking at some of the statements you made.

first off, you'll need some sort of media playback software like Winamp, iTunes, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc...just to name a few. you'll need this regardless of how you wish to play the tracks because everything is either in MP3 format or MP3 Playlist (M3U) format. when you try to listen to a track by clicking 'Play Hi-Fi (or Lo-Fi...which is meant for people using a dial-up modem), what you're downloading isn't the MP3 itself, rather an MP3 Playlist file. if you have one of the media players listed above, you just click 'Ok' when prompted to do so, which is usually when you start downloading the playlist file (M3U file). by clicking 'Ok,' you allow the playlist file to load into your media player, which will decode the streaming audio and allow you to listen to the track you've selected.

if applicable, you can also choose to download the song (the artists sometimes offer their tracks for free download). all of the tracks available for download are in MP3 format.

i obviously don't know which operating system you're using, but if you're using anything with windows 98 or higher, you should have software capable of playing files in MP3 and M3U format. please let us know if you have anymore questions. Very Happy
HappyByrd
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote

Hi, gorgatron.

I have both Windows Media Player and RealPlayer. You probably aren't surprised to hear that I didn't know what to with them, but I am learning. Your answer was clear and easy to follow. Old dogs can learn new tricks with people like you out there to help. Thanks so much!

HappyByrd
gorgatron

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote

no problem, sir! lol i'm glad you were able to get it figured out. i got my first ever computer only 4 years ago, myself, so i totally understand how confusing some of the simplest things are when you're first getting started. i used to spend an hour on things that now might take me a few minutes. i hope you find a lot of music that fits your tastes. just let us know if you have any other questions down the road. have fun! Very Happy