Having trouble with microphone cables

Music Forums Music Equipment Having trouble with microphone cables  
jimar
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote

My wife and I are getting along in years and for several years we have had a hobby of singing to shut-ins in nursing homes, hospitals, etc. Recently, because of our age, we cannot handle our old sound gear Sad so we replaced almost all of it with new stuff. Very Happy The new stuff included condensor microphones rather that the old dynamic microphones and with the new mixer and phantom power, we had to buy different mirophone cables. As you probaly know, I needed sheilded and balanced cables with XLR connectors on each end. I ordered two from an outfit through e-bay. On the first performance at a nursing home, one of them developed and open circuit. I e-mailed the company for a re-imbursement but was told they would send me a new one at no cost. (The replacement never arrived so I re-soldered the connector and calked it uup to experience) Yesterday the second one started to create very loud static or popping noises as I moved around holding it. Mad I have tried to trouble shoot it with an ohm meter but am un-able to find any shorts or open circuits but I am able to reproduce the popping and static noises while using it. Does any one have any ideas that might be helpfull? Should I be wary of any particular vendor?
Should I look for any particular attributes in the cable? What?? Thank you for reading this. I hope some body can help, JIM
Back to top View user's profile
smili

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your troubles. I personally haven't had issues with specific vendors though. Overall I've been very pleased with cable price/quality on ebay. Orange County Speaker / Speakerrepair.com is a seller I've bookmarked, but there are a couple others I know I've purchased cable from without issue.

As far as mics, there's a wide range of quality out there, but I'd think dynamic mics are probably what you'd want to use for your live vocal application. The Shure SM58 is probably the standard workhorse answer, but there are alot of similar dynamic mics that'd do that perform well. I have some Audio Technica's that are good, solid and low cost. Also have some EV cobalts for the practice room that seem to work fine
jimar
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote

smili: Thanks you for the comback. I'll keep what syou suggestedin mind. Appreciate your help. JIM
lodato

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote

It may not be the cable but the what you're plugging into. Make sure the connections are clean. Did you try another cable to see if it was the issue?
I find that cheaper cables under 10.00 arent worth the bother but you can find bargans in the 15-20 dollar range with neutrik plugs and mogami cable. They have never failed me. -rl
jimar
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Iodato: OK, you may be right. I was trying it in the same channel of my sound board each time. I wil try a different channel. My only other cable, the one I fixed, seemed to work alright. It seemed the only time I got the loud static and popping was when I wiggled the cable about two feet fromthe microphone. However, I could find no problem with the ohm meter when I tried that same effort later. I have ordered two Musicians Gear Lo-Z cables from Musicians Friend. Hopefully they will do better. Thanks for your interest. I will follow up after they arrive. JIM
CraigCyril
ubw rookie
ubw rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote

Nice post! Thanks for your outlook.