Legal Broadcasting?

Music Forums Bugs, Questions, & Technical Help Legal Broadcasting?  
Mrkrabz
ubw newbie
ubw newbie

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote

I have noticed and searched around that playing Unsigned music on a radio IS legal without some kind of licence. As long as IT IS unsigned AND free.

Is this true?
Back to top View user's profile
minusme
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Just because music is 'unsigned' does not mean it is unlicensed. Bands and artists use various methods to protect their music. You should not 'assume' it is ok to air unsigned music on the radio unless you have permission directly from the artist.
Back to top View user's profileSend e-mail
PPB

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote

true, the music of bands there only belong to their owners...the artist themselves..

i'm not a big player but i protect my best records..
gorgatron

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote

pretty much by default, by the simple act of publishing it, unsigned or not, the product of the artist is under a 'creative commons' license.

some don't mind when people use their music for radio or whatever, but the artist still has the right and say as to how their music is presented, since when presented in a way the artist hadn't intended, you might find yourself in a bit of trouble should the artist discover this.

i currently am dealing with such a problem by and illustrator who used my work with permission, and although i was given due credit for providing the muse, it's simply rude not to inform, or rather, ask the artist first.

that's my two cents, and i second minusme and PPB as well, since they know more about this than me. just ask, and generally unsigned artists are pretty pleased to have someone ask them to stream or broadcast their music, as long as credit is provided - this goes without saying, i think.

thanks for asking the general question before going ahead without doing so! Very Happy